Wednesday, March 28, 2018

How to be the Spring for someone's Winter


Spring...that elusive, teasing, bi-polar season that likes to pop in and out for weeks until it finally decides to stay. I get so hopeful waiting for the ONE day this week the sun will shine, but then sad again as I read of the chance for snow. When those few days come where the sun finally breaks through, the kids and I hurry outside to catch the sun's rays, if only for 15 minutes, to last us through the cloudy days to follow.

Spring reminds us that winter is not forever. The season of barrenness and waiting is not our future, but will eventually be in the past. Hope beckons us forward with promises of warmth, and sun rays to brighten the dark corners of our weary souls. 

For the last nearly month and a half, I have been so sick that I've felt the 'winter of the soul'.  Yes, it's been winter outside, because winter here in the north lasts.....FOREVER (with some repeat appearances made as it fights it out with spring).  But it's also been a soul winter as I have felt like a prisoner in my house, unable to leave till late in the afternoon, and always afraid that my stomach contents would make a guest appearance in public.

In this season, I have been immensely grateful for dear friends who have brought moments of 'spring' to my soul.  Never underestimate the power of your words, texts, visits, etc in the life of another. It may be the moment that they look forward to all day.  It may be the word that drives the storm clouds away and gives strength for the day's tasks.

Getting a text message that said, "Hey, how are you? Thinking of you and praying for you today", felt like a warm sun ray just passed through the clouds.  Getting visits was my motivation to get something done, and also helped the days not drag on.  And getting a surprise bouquet of flowers reminded me that I was not alone in this rough season.


Often people just need you to 'be' the spring. When some of my friends offered to pick up my kids so I could rest, I responded with "I don't need someone to watch them, I need someone to 'be' with me and remind me this won't last forever and that I will make it through."  When our hope runs low, we need others to share their hope with us.

Let me encourage you to 'be' the spring for someone's winter season of the soul.  The power of your words, visits, and presence will be like the daffodil stems peeking up through the dirt.  They give hope that this cold season will not last forever, but someday in the (I hope near) future the sun's warm rays will be given free reign.  And when your 'spring season of the soul' comes, (be it next month when it should be warmer or in 28 weeks for me), may it cause you to rejoice with even greater gratitude because of how long the winter was.

And may it remind you to in turn....
                      Be the spring for someone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment