Friday, January 18, 2019

1st book of the year and my word for the year

The last couple years, I set the goal of completing twelve books (not including the million children’s books I read). Last year was a busy year with being sick a lot and having a baby, and I didn’t meet my goal. But I’m hopeful this year I’ll be much closer to the goal!  I just finished Cozy Minimalist Home  by Myquillyn Smith and loved it! It’s a home decor book, so way out of my usual genre. I skimmed her first book (The Nesting Place) last year, and appreciated her practical approach to decorating. Let me tell you, this second book was even more spot on. I posted a number of quotes on Instagram (follow me @sojourner_by_his_grace)  that hit the spot. I looooved the section on being a home cultivator and not a stuff organizer.
“A curator always keeps in mind the overall goal and purpose of a space. She knows there are many good and beautiful things that can be included in a space, but she always keeps the interests of her people at the forefront when making her choices. That’s all design is-making rational, informed decisions about the best things to use in your home based on your needs and personal preferences. We need homes that truly serve us and our families..” Our homes serving us, not us serving our homes.
We often collect more and more things in an effort to create the beauty we long for. Or we are ashamed of our space, because it’s “not ready”.  In this book, she encourages us to find the balance between the cozy and the minimal.  Both require courage. The courage to purge unnecessary items to allow your space to breath and the courage to finish a room (good enough counts as done).
Speaking of courage, do you ever pick a ‘Word for the Year’?  I’ve never joined that group until this year and so far I’m doing great with my words…..in January. We’ll see how long I follow through with this. đź™‚  The idea is to pick a word or phrase  that sums up how you want to develop as a person that year. People may choose  words like rest, trust, excellence, faith, grace, basic, yes (to more adventures) etc. At first I thought my word was balance, because I’m constantly trying to find the balance between kids/spouse, chores/rest, healthy eating/easy meals, etc. But somehow I don’t think I’m ever going to find the perfect balance. Life is like a teeter-totter where you stand with one foot on each side of the middle bar and keep adjusting your feet to keep it “balanced”. It requires constant movement to be perfectly balanced.
Through some events and personal reflection, it became clear that ‘courage’ was actually my goal. Far too often I live with a fear of missing out or a fear of what others think. As a mom, there’s also the constant fear that I’m not doing a good enough job. These hinder my ability to create a healthy balance in my life and for my family. Instead of choosing what is ‘best’, I may choose something out of need for approval. Or I may make a choice out of fear I won’t have enough later.
This year as I keep that word ‘courage’ in mind, I want to develop courage to do what is best for my family despite fears that it won’t measure up in other people’s eyes. This courage will also place my/our needs above my fear of missing out on all the cool stuff everyone else does (I’m super sure everyone else is always doing super cool stuff all the time) :-).  I also need courage to speak up or share out of my comfort zone. This year, I joined a local mom’s group which gives my kiddos the opportunity to get to know other kids, and I get some adult time. Two different meetings I felt the urge to speak up, but didn’t because this group is new to me. Afterwards, I felt so frustrated with myself! I need courage to be obedient to share what’s on my heart.
How about you? What lesson are you wanting to learn this year? Have you ever picked a word for the year?
Blessings,
Felicia

No comments:

Post a Comment