Friday, August 16, 2019

Habits are the ribbons that hold our lives together.

After a busy couple of days of end of summer play-dates, visiting the dog groomer, and running errands, it's been nice to be home in our normal routine today. Our family thrives on simple habitual actions through out the day. Each morning, the kids and I meet over breakfast to read our Bible, pray, work on memory work (months, days of week, numbers, verses), read poems/story, etc. The other day I was preparing my breakfast smoothie early, and my daughter exclaimed "But mom you're supposed to have that during Bible time!"  Nap-time involves two stories, prayer and then tucked in bed. After each meal, the kids help clear the table. 

When we return from trips, meeting at the breakfast table for cheerios and "Morning Time" bring a sense of relief as we settle back into our rhythm. Rhythms and routines ground us after being tossed around by the busyness of life. Recently I shared with a dear friend how I want to start reading lessons with my preschooler soon. She suggested that I wait until after our big transition coming soon. But I responded how with all the chaos and uncertainty coming up, my kiddos needed the stability of still meeting each morning to eat, read, and learn together. Sometimes.....I need it more than them.


Recently I listened to this podcast on Habits on the Charlotte Mason Poetry site and it made me think about my daily choices. Raising little ones definitely makes me reevaluate my actions/habits, as I consider what I want to pass on to them.  We all have habits (habitual responses, unconscience decisions, etc) both good and bad that direct our daily lives. Our sub conscience is trained to think, act, and speak certain ways. Without thought (seemingly) we drive to work, greet people, make judgement calls about situations, etc. Sometimes it can feel like we are a 'victim' of our sub conscience or habits, rather than realizing that we (or others) have trained it.

Choosing to develop a new habit is hard. It's like exercising a new muscle and requires intentional thought. At first, it may be awkward, painful, or frustrating, but with time it becomes natural and part of our sub conscience training. The key is intentionally choosing it over a period of TIME. As with exercise, each time we choose it, that muscle grows. Brushing their teeth before bed is an automatic action for my kids. Because they thought it was fun? No, because I intentionally choose it for them each night until it became automatic.

Two of the take away's from the podcast were:
1. Developing/teaching good habits in order to have healthy automatic actions/responses.
2. Developing discernment to recognize when our automatic responses/actions are wrong and what the appropriate replacement habit is.

Remember, you can't eat an elephant in one bite. Personal growth and teaching habits to others needs to be sustainable, and in bite size portions. :-) If it's not doable, we won't do it. :-) 

We're in this together.

Sojourning with you,
Felicia



No comments:

Post a Comment