Saturday, April 20, 2019

Don't give up! The best is yet to come.

As I sit in my chair while literally everyone is my house is napping (even the cats), I start thinking about how exhausted I am. This last couple weeks have been tiring with the baby's sleep schedule changing and her being more fussy, added to the increased energy level of the other two. I'm tired of being pooped on, the dog barking, kids crying over everything, and just plain sleep deprived. Thankfully everyone slept through the night until 6 AM this morning. (Place tired face emoji here).

It's so easy to want to give up sometimes. Some days no matter what I do...the baby will cry, the kids won't like the food unless it's mac 'n cheese, and everyone will be grumpy/crying (even the dog).  But I can't toss out this book, just because this chapter is harder.

There's more to the story. 


I can't help but think of what the disciples felt like on Saturday. Jesus was dead. Their book (so they thought) was over.  They had nothing else to hold on to, and nothing else to live for. But their book wasn't over, they just hadn't turned the page to Sunday yet. 

I love reading anything put out by Elsie Ludicello, and a quote from one of her Instagram posts keeps flying through my thoughts. She wrote about creating a life that you don't "want to run away from". Life is too short to spend it miserable. Thinking on her post has motivated me to paint the bathroom, do creative activities with the kiddos, and to develop healthy rhythms. But creating that life requires work.  If I don't like how something in my household is running, then I need to change it. It requires time spent listening, praying, thinking over changes to make, and elbow grease to make course corrections.  God is the author of my story, but the choices I make can either support or hinder the story He wants to write. 


Small successes give hope that the story isn't over yet, and the Author knows what he's doing even if the chapter is hard. Little things like lunch with the kids while we read Farmer Boy, seeing them spot cardinals and robins, and listening to them sing church and school songs remind me that something is working. Listening to them retell the events from Jesus' last week before the Crucifixion amazes me (check out our Instagram posts to see what we've been up to).

A couple weeks ago, I took my preschooler, toddler, and baby to go visit some friends in a hospice room for 1.5 hours. I packed books, games and snacks, but I honestly wasn't sure if my little ones would last the visit. They did great and as we left our elderly friends, one of them said "You've got some great kids there". All the time I've spent praying over and instructing their hearts became worth it when they could spend over an hour in a hospice room and leave our friends blessed by their company. 

There's more to the story.

Some chapters are rough. They are full of miscommunications, frustrations, missing people, loneliness....and yes......maybe even being pooped on by a baby. But a chapter is not the end of the book. Let's think on that.....

A chapter is not the end of the book. 

I paint bathrooms, reserve library books, and spend sleepless nights because I have dreams that the Author of my story has placed there, and because I trust Him to take the hard chapters and make them into His perfect story. 

(our moss garden tomb)

It's Saturday, and Jesus is still in the tomb. But tomorrow the disciples will turn the page to a new chapter. They'll realize that hard chapter wasn't the end of the book.  Jesus.....the author of hope, forgiveness, mercy, and new life will come back to life!  His victory gives proof to His ability to transform lives. and to make broken messes into something beautiful. 

How about you? Is there a hard chapter you are going through now? Does it feel like the end of the book? Remember that Sunday is coming and ask the One who made you for help with your chapter. 

Sojourning together,
 Felicia

PS. If there's something you'd like me to pray for, please let me know in the comments. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment