Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Monthly Goals

Hello! We are super excited that spring is finally here!  As soon as the sun started shining, we went outside to soak it up!  Today, we were out noticing where the tulips are starting to poke up their green shoots. It's so fun, having kiddos who love nature too!

Here's an update on my goals this year:
1. Read 12 books this year (honestly if I can make it to 10, I’ll consider it a win)
Update: I finished Cozy Minimalist HomePeter Pan, and Sacred Holidays.

I’m currently reading Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Faith by Chuck Smith, The Life Giving Parent by Clay and Sally Clarkson,  Mother Culture by Karen Andreola, and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Kingsolver/Kingsolver/Hopp. 

Wow, when I list them out....that sounds like a lot!  One is an audiobook that I can listen to while working in the kitchen, and Farmer Boy is our family read aloud. 

2. Explore the alphabet with my preschooler: our “preschool” takes different forms through the seasons. Sometimes we do letters, but through the holiday season we’ve read a ton of books. 
Update: She has loved doing the preschool books she received for Christmas from her aunts!  I'm amazed at what skills she is picking up!


3. Identify 5 plants/tracks: I think it would be amazing to be able to go on our nature hikes and …..gasp….name what I’m looking at. But, alas! I have no idea. So I ordered some books to give me some clues. 


Update: 

I was excited to try out my tree identification book at my parents' place.  While I hadn't used this book before, it was fairly simple to follow the steps to narrow down these trees. The top one is a Douglas Fir and the bottom one is a White/Blue Spruce. 
From what I understood of the animal tracks book, these were rabbit tracks. But I found that section a little confusing. If you have any pointers or recommendations, please pass them this way! I'd like to be one of those smart nature people, but I'm just a mom with a book.  :-)

My husband and the internet had to help me identify this one...Juniperus Virginiana (Red cedar).  This was collected on our last nature hike.  I didn't have time to figure it out before the group left me, so I had to grab a branch to research when I got home. 

Again, if you have any pointers or recommendations....please let me know. I just want to be able to say more than..."And that's a tree, and that's another tree, and that's a tree...."

4. Get rid of 50 things: 

Update: I cleaned out 4 cupboards, and the kids' books.  That's progress, right? 

5. Learn to make more things from scratch.

Update: 

These buttermilk biscuits were amazing!!  The cast iron pan added a special toasted crunchiness to the outside layer. They were so flaky and just melted in your mouth! They were utterly moreish!
I found the recipe here.  They were perfect to go with our chicken pot pie.  Mmmmmm!


6. Prepare for secret project

7. Blog/writing (I have ideas…but life seems to take all my time)
Update: At least I'm writing each week...mostly. It definitely is life giving to be able to write. 

8. Finish 2nd kids baby book and do the 3rd kid’s book

9. Clean out freezer and use up pantry (you know all those unmarked surprise dishes you find in the back of your freezer? yah….)
Update: There's empty space in there! 

10. Do 10 projects with the little ones. 
Update: We made "guitars" with cereal boxes and rubberbands.  You guys.....this was better than any store bought present!  The kiddos loved them, and they were utterly adorable 'playing' their guitars and singing Jesus Loves Me!


What have you been up to?  Share in the comments section.

Sojourning with you,
Felicia

No comments:

Post a Comment